Community Resources for Justice, in it's earliest incarnation, was born over 100 years ago, with the New England Society for the Supression of Vice established in 1878. Through the years, as Boston and New England faced a variety of social challenges, CRJ – as it is known today – has grown and evolved to play a critical role in the human service landscape. CRJ descended from two ancestral lines of social activism. The first focused chiefly on crime prevention and policy while the other undertook direct aid for incarcerated and newly released prisoners. The names of these founding organizations are noted below. These ancestral lines co-existed from the late 19th century until 1975, when they merged to form the Crime and Justice Foundation. In 1999, the Crime and Justice Foundation would merge with the Massachusetts Halfway Houses (itself established in 1964) to form Community Resources for Justice.