New Hire Orientation and On-Boarding Process
CRJ conducts a new hire orientation for all new employees that includes CRJ's history, overview of services and programs, values and treatment philosophy, core employee and management competencies, benefits and payroll enrollment, trainings in preventing workplace harassment, and diversity in the workplace. The On-Boarding process takes place at the program site level.
Performance Management System
As part of CRJ's Performance Management System the employee receives an annual performance review based on the appropriate behavioral and technical competencies associated with the employee's job description. The manager provides coaching and collaborates with the employee in finalizing an Individual Development Plan by setting expectations on any improvement needs, and determining the appropriate training to support the employee's present and future development. CRJ provides over 300 on-line and certificate courses through e-Academy. Many of the courses are eligible for continuing education credits CEU.
Core Employee Competencies
Management Competencies - Building Blocks
|Basic Leadership||Mid-Manager||Senior Manager|
|All Core Compentencies plus:||All Basic Leadership Compentencies plus:||All Mid-Manager Compentencies plus:|
CRJ offers eligible employees the opportunity to develop their management competencies through on-going coaching and a more formal training approach as noted below. Each employee's Individual Development Plan includes short and long term training goals. Eligibility is based on high performance in service excellence, modeling CRJ's values and treatment philosophy, and mentoring other employees on "best practices."
|Basic Leadership Programs||Mid-Manager Programs||Senior Manager Programs|
|Individual Development Plan||Individual Development Plan||Individual Development Plan|
Emerging Leaders Program
As part of CRJ's Management Development Program, the Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) is designed to benefit aspiring employees who wish to develop their leadership and management competencies. ELP is open to any employee with at least 2 years of experience working at CRJ and believes that s/he has the potential to grow into a strong leadership role, embraces and demonstrates a commitment to CRJ's mission, and takes responsibility for their own development/learning.
Emerging Leaders Program Criterion
Demonstrates the following competencies on a consistent basis and has a desire to continue to grow within their area of expertise:
- Is open to feedback - solicits feedback on performance, integrates feedback into ongoing development
- Makes sound decisions - that are good for the whole, takes into account organizational priorities and priorities of others on the team, incorporates wide range of data into decision making process, balances task with human components of sound decision making, looks both long and short term at impact of decisions
- Manages interpersonal relationships - works well with others, manages conflicts, handles stress and pressure well, communicates with others openly, listens to others without judgment, strives for collaboration, offers help to others and is willing to accept help as needed
- Practices self-management and self-discipline - is motivated to do the job to the best of his or her ability, is consistent, dependable, in control without controlling others
- Is enthusiastic about the job and the work being performed
- Understands the value of the work being done by self and others
- Consistently takes initiative and goes above and beyond what is asked
- Functions well as part of the team and is willing to take on a leadership role or work as a follower depending on needs of the team
- Accepts direction well
- Mentors others and acts as a role model
- Continue employment with CRJ for an additional year after completion of program
The following module topics comprise the Emerging Leaders Program:
- Essentials of Leadership
- Introduction to Management
- Time Management
- Assertive Communication Skills
- Influencing Others
- Presentation Skills
- Empowering Yourself and Others
- Your Role in Performance Reviews
- Strategies for Collaborative Problem Solving
- Change Management
- Is Management for You?